IMPRISON TRAITOR TRUMP.

Thursday, September 10, 2015

Martin Milner - Requiescat in Pace



Martin Milner's recent passing brought social media tributes perhaps more from Baby Boomers in whose collective memory is cherished two particular television shows:  Route 66 and Adam-12.  He also appeared in quite a number of guest spots on different series and TV movies, and I always looked forward to seeing him as one of my favorites.



I think it was when we covered the episode from Murder She Wrote in the Ann Blyth series last year: Murder She Wrote: "Reflections of the Mind" and the comments left by readers who shared a love of Mr. Milner's work that I became aware of the mini-cult surrounding this fine actor.  His charm, I suppose, was his constancy, we could count on the excellence of his work and the feeling in his non-showy way, we could depend on his character.  He didn't have to be a hero, he was just a guy and we were glad to know him.



It is especially interesting to recall that this actor began at the tail end of Hollywood's great era, when he played  one of the boys in Life With Father (1947) covered here in a previous post, and in the wonderful I Want You (1951).   We also saw him in Our Very Own (1950).  He could play goofy, earnest, innocent types.  He could play strong and virile romantics.  He could play just a guy we knew and really liked.  He did it effortlessly and without a lot of show.

And at just the mention of his name, some of us cannot help but be reminded of our childhoods.

Rest in peace.







7 comments:

Raquel Stecher said...

I didn't realize there was a mini-cult of Milner fans. I really want to explore his work now. I always appreciate an actor who is charming and consistent in a non-showy way, as you described.

Jacqueline T. Lynch said...

Hi, Raquel. Perhaps among Boomers more than younger film fans, who are especially familiar with his work on the two series from the 1960s and 1970s, and a long string of guest spots. For those of us who remembered, or discovered, his earlier film work as well -- an added bonus, to be sure.

Caftan Woman said...

There is a scene at the end of "Too Much Too Soon" where Martin Milner as an old boyfriend of Diana Barrymore's reveals that he is bald. Way back when, watching that movie on TV one afternoon that scene made my second baby sister Maureen scream. Whenever I watch "Marty" I always think of that moment and it makes me laugh.

Jacqueline T. Lynch said...

You crack me up. I don't think I have a single image of him in my mind -- and that is kind of a marvel, where the innocent young men roles, the goofy types, the super cool Todd from ROUTE 66, and then the knowing mature, no-nonsense guy in his later TV years -- he's all of those things to me.

Jacqueline T. Lynch said...

You crack me up. I don't think I have a single image of him in my mind -- and that is kind of a marvel, where the innocent young men roles, the goofy types, the super cool Todd from ROUTE 66, and then the knowing mature, no-nonsense guy in his later TV years -- he's all of those things to me.

Joanie said...

Not knowing whose estate it was, I purchased a few items, including a very large Bennington (1776 repro) American flag. Finding out later that it was Mr. Milner's estate, and learning more about him, we fly the flag with pride. He had a lot of patriotic/bicentennial swag at his estate. Also, a Welsh flag, much smaller, that I bought. He and his wife lived unpretentiously, in a very plain house in San Diego county. They must have been nice, down to earth people. It certainly was a comfortable home, not a glitzy one.

Jacqueline T. Lynch said...

Welcome to the blog, Joanie! That's very interesting. He did seem like a really nice person, and I'm glad you've got a piece of memorabilia to remember him by. Thanks for sharing your discovery.

Related Products